[time-nuts] Re: Trak 8812 Station Clock

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Thu Jun 17 13:20:57 UTC 2021

Ron -

An earlier thread about the TRAK Systems 8810 (time-nuts archive: 2008-2011).
VK3XYZ received the 8812 Manual, from the company, at that time.
https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=time-nuts@febo.com&q=subject:%22%5Btime-nuts%5D+TRAK+8810%22&o=newest&f=1

Internal Photos of the TRAK 8812 GPS Station Clock (Trak Microwave, Tampa, FL)
You can confirm size of GPS receiver and # positions on header interface.
http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/trak8812/

Based on the Trak 8820 manual, the layout/parts are similar (early 1990s).
The Trak GPS receiver appears to have used the Magnavox MX4200 Navigation 6-channel Receiver, with a 20-pin interconnect header to the “main board”.

Many of the OEM from that period (Rockwell, Magnavox, Motorola, etc.) were acquired by other companies OR left the GPS receiver market.  In this case,
Magnavox was acquired by Leica’s Geosystems group (now part of Hexagon)
https://leica-geosystems.com/en-us/products/gnss-systems/receivers

Some “new tech” replacement receivers for Trimble (HEOL Design, France)
https://www.heoldesign.com/-Trimble-GPS-replacement-boards-

NAELCOM (France) for the Trimble Lassen series and form factors
http://naelcom.com/165-boards-enclosures
For European readers, Recab in the UK is a Naelcom partner.
https://www.recabuk.com/partners/

and Motorola Oncore / M12 (Synergy Systems LLC, San Diego).
https://synergy-gps.com/
—
The rollover issue could likely be addressed by Lady Heather software (for PC monitoring).  A replacement GPS receiver (interface compatible) would be required for multi-channel GNSS and possibly firmware changes to main board for full functionality.

Good luck with your project.

greg, w9gb
chicago
===