[time-nuts] Re: PRS-10 heatsink design

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 23 12:35:45 UTC 2021

Hi

All of these small “telecom” Rb’s suffer the same way. The form factor is similar
and they all dump a lot of heat out the baseplate. None of them do well with a
“down facing” simple heatsink

“Simple” answers:

1) Use a fan / forced air. That’s how they typically where used in most (but not
all …) telecom gear.

2) Go off to any of the many online heatsink outfits and buy a chunk of extrusion
better suited to the task. Even with 30 mm fins, down facing isn’t great.

3) Flip the unit so the fins face up

Best is still going be fins that are up/down in the vertical plane (if that makes
any sense at all …) and get good airflow from bottom to top.

If you go with a fan, be careful to isolate it a bit. Rb’s do have vibration sensitivity.
One plus with a fan is that you can servo it to maintain accurate temperature.

Bob