[time-nuts] Old Crystal.

EB4APL eb4apl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:23:01 UTC 2021

My response got lost in the Internet, so I repeat the info.

If you have access to a Network Analyzer, either Scalar or Vector,  you
can measure the crystal parameters. You need a test fixture (it could be
homemade) to convert the 50 Ohm analyzer impedance to 12.5 Ohm and you
very slowly sweep the crystal to obtain its serial resonance (frequency
and attenuation) the and the -3dB points frequencies. From these
measurements there are simple formulas to obtain the motional
resistance, inductance and capacitance, and the crystal Q.

Some professional Network Analyzers seems not to be very adequate to do
this because they cannot sweep slowly enough, but some low cost hobby
type analyzers have a mode for measuring crystals with these
calculations integrated. One example being the Poor Ham Scalar Network
Analyzer which has a function for specifically measuring crystals using
a step rate of 1 Hz and the nanoVNA, that can measure the resonance
point and you do the calculations. A program with the measurements and
calculations integrated is under development at this time.

This an example of the PHSNA output:

Crystal Id:  8 Mhz #3
Peak Frec. (Hz):      7996356
Bandwidth (Hz):  354,5