[time-nuts] Old Crystal.

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 22:03:51 UTC 2021

Blue LEDs under Nixie tubes might have a deeper purpose than appearance-
they can also
help the Nixie tubes get started upon turn-on (especially if they're
getting old).  I once stayed
in a hotel room whose light switches had neon indicators to help one find
them in the dark,
and the one near the entrance door was getting awfully marginal.  I
happened to have a blue
LED penlight with me, and I found that shining that on the switch face made
a radical
improvement in making the neon indicator keep going, even at a range of >
20 feet.  And
this flashlight was no powerhouse either- it was a single LED with no
auxiliary focussing
optics.

Dana