[time-nuts] World's most precise.... wall clock

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 10 11:04:20 UTC 2021

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> The gotcha here is that if you want accurate *time*, you are better off using
> the sawtooth corrected output from a (good) GPS module rather than a GPSDO.

Why is that?

I would have guessed that a GPSDO would average over many GPS pulses thus
reducing the noise.

Is it something like GPSDOs are normally designed for good frequency rather
than good time, so when they find the time is off, they use a small frequency
offset for a long time to correct rather than a big frequency offset for a
short time?

Are there any GPSDOs designed for good time?  Or any with parameters that can
be tweaked to provide good time?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.