[time-nuts] World's most precise.... wall clock

Charlie charlie at drhabekost.com
Wed Mar 10 14:39:46 UTC 2021

Bob-

As a rank amateur e astronomer, I am a  lurker. I am amazed at what I have
learned here. I know that there are differences between the meaning of
precision and accuracy, but please correct my understanding if I am
imprecise.

I have a need for precise time, as all sorts of calculations are dependent
on precise geocentric position, and of course time to convert to other times
e.g. sidereal, utc, etc., as related to the motion control of a large
telescope.

I have an old hp z3805a; seems to be really precise, agreeing with my
location (surveyed). Other gps's that I have seem to wander more.

My question is thus: It seems that procuring a more precise PPS/time output
unit is quite a bit more costly than what I have; even more costly is a unit
that has both more precise PPS/time output, and a really stable 10 Mhz
output ( I might add that I am a Ham, where 1 uhz  error is detrimental).

Assuming I can afford an upgrade, would  getting a more precise PPS/time
unit then and feed that data into separate OCXO? Getting both seems out of
my league.

Seems that  could the best of both worlds.

All advise welcome; it's how we learn....

Thank you,

Charlie
N6CFH