[time-nuts] Grandfather clock sync'd to 1PPS (from time-nuts Digest, Vol 200, Issue 4)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 10 22:59:29 UTC 2021

jfitzgerald at alum.wpi.edu said:
> You guys have me thinking about another "non cheating" technique.    I am now
> imagining a small gear motor/screw arrangement that raises or lowers a mass
> on the pendulum to trim out small variations in swing frequency.

How are you planning to get power to the motor?

How much would a thin wire running down the pendulum shaft screw up the
timing?  How long would it last?  I'm picturing thin/flexible wire with a
generous loop from the fixed clock frame to the pendulum.

I assume people make wire for use cases like that.  Is there a buzzword to
search for?

Plan B would be to use a photo cell.  You also need control as well as power.
Maybe 2 photo cells, one for power and the other for data with a filter to
block the wavelength used for power.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.