[time-nuts] Complex PLL

d.schuecker at avm.de d.schuecker at avm.de
Wed Mar 17 16:20:02 UTC 2021

Hi time-nuts,

a PLL takes the phase difference of the incoming signal and the
synthesized signal and feeds that in a loop filter. The output of the loop
filter is used to steer the local oscillator.

In my setup I have an incoming complex signal and my local oscillator is
generating a complex signal as well. So calculation of the phase
difference is just the quotient of the incoming signal and the local
oscillator, it is a sampled system. I take the quotient, calculate the
angle using the atan function and then I feed it in the loop filter, a PI
controller. The output of the loop filter is converted to a complex phase
increment for the local oscillator with the sin and cos function.

Now I have to get rid of the atan, cos and sin functions.

I am looking for a loop filter which takes the quotient of the
incoming/synthesized signal as a complex value. The output of this loop
filter should be the phase increment for the local oscillator. It should
not use the angle of the complex value explicitly, as this will involve
the atan/cos/sin functions.

Is someone aware of such a loop filter? I surfed through Gardners'
'Phaselock Techniques' but did not find a hint.

Thank you
Detlef Schücker

DD4WV