[time-nuts] Re: Long term ADEV of 5071

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Mar 25 19:24:23 UTC 2021

The ADEV of the 5071 follows the typical curve of
improving at a constant rate vs increasing Tau
until it levels out due to limiting by flicker.  AFAIK,
this flicker noise never turns back up.  There is
no observable aging either.  Nor are there any
observable environmental effects.

The 5071's traditionally counted for 85% of the
weight in the TAI weighted average.  You might as
well start by asking what is the long term stability
of the TAI.

Just based on what you are saying, your client reminds
me of many consulting clients I have had who started
out asking the wrong question.  I usually responded,
not by attempting to answer the question, but rather
explain why it was the wrong question and then proceed
to figuring out the right question.  Just a comment;
maybe that is not what is going on in your case.

Rick N6RK