[time-nuts] Adding a "light pipe" to a KVARZ Maser

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Sun Mar 28 16:56:34 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

I had been spoiled by the EFOS2 maser as it had a rigid light pipe that
delivered light thru a hole in the front panel from the dissociator glow.

Nice visible indication that it was lit!

I just added a similar setup to the Kvarz CH1-76 and thought I'd share
it.

I bought a few feet of the 2mm cable shown on eBay.

2mm Solid Core Side Glow Fiber Optic Cable Sold By The Foot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2mm-Solid-Core-Side-Glow-Fiber-Optic-Cable-Sold-
By-The-Foot/332377510454?epid=1048336030&hash=item4d633e5236:g:y6sAAOSwOs
BZntwO

It has two outer shield layers.

If you carefully slit the outer layer lengthwise for a couple inches, and
peel it back and cut it off, you can preserve the inner shield layer.

Now it will fit through one of the holes in the baffle as show and routed
to the front of the unit.

You can see the front panel end in the lower left corner of the PIX. It
looks much more purple/red to the naked eye!

You will need to bend the input  end and position it so you get a good
throughput!

Gives a nice bright "dot" when the dissociator is lit!

Cheers,

Corby