[time-nuts] Re: Long term ADEV of 5071

Demetrios Matsakis dnmyiasou at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 03:35:14 UTC 2021

The BIPM’s new algorithm, implemented around 2014, weights clock by their predictability, and also estimates the frequency drift of the masers.  That’s why masers have risen to their level of prominence.  But masers do have all kinds of variations at some level, which I easily saw when I worked at the USNO and had decades of data uncorrupted by time transfer noise.  I was going to publish a paper in 2019, but I didn’t because getting approval was impossible.  It will be interesting to see what you guys can come up with using BIPM data to create long time series of frequency variations for cesiums and masers too.   Be careful because the BIPM data may not tell you when a cesium beam tube was changed, or a maser underwent repair.  Or a clock was moved.   So I would treat any data gap as a new clock.

Maybe one year ago Microsemi started advertising lower drift in their masers, and I suspect that is because they found a way to compensate for the initial drift so the user doesn’t see it.  (I have no idea if this is really true.)  Years ago in a paper I published with Mike Garvey and Paul Koppang I found the frequency drift noticeably decreased after three years.   Extending my unsupported theory, that might mean new masers pick up a drift over time.   But components change, and whatever they do can be modeled.

Another thing about the meaning of weights is that clocks used to be characterized through comparison with the EAL timescale, which does not involve primaries.   But the new algorithm characterizes them against a TT-guess which carries the frequency of the primaries.  So that in effect degrades masers, cesiums, and Rb fountains to the status of frequency interpolators between the primary standards.   (This is an observation I have made many times and no one has contradicted me, so I guess it is obvious.)