[time-nuts] Re: Ublox NEO-M8T-0-10​as a LO question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 29 17:34:57 UTC 2021

Hi

…. a very normal way to get to 10 GHz is to lock up a low noise VHF oscillator
as a “cleanup” device. This is true even with a very good 10 MHz source. The
20 log N stuff simply beats you up to much.

Some math:

A really good 10 MHz source might be in the -170 dbc/ Hz range far removed from carrier.
That gets to -150 with an ideal multiplication to 100 MHz. Any more “normal” source will
be worse than that 10 MHz OCXO. The 100 MHz will be even worse as a result. If your
source is in the -140 to -150 range, the output will be -120 to -130 dbc/ Hz.

For not a lot of money, you can get small VCXO’s at VHF with pretty good noise numbers.
A part that hits -160 dbc / Hz at 10 KHz offset is not all that unusual. That will give you a
*lot* of noise reduction vs that -120 to -130 dbc/Hz.

By the time you get to 10 GHz, you add another 40 db to the 100 MHz numbers. -120
goes to -80 dbc/ Hz. That’s a lot of noise ….

Bob