[time-nuts] Re: The Collapse of Puerto Rico’s Iconic Telescope [April 5th, 2021 New Yorker]

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Mar 30 21:00:40 UTC 2021

On 3/30/21 6:40 AM, Wes wrote:
> Was a pity.  China's FAST is receive only.  I believe that leaves
> Green Bank as the biggest transmitting telescope.

More likely the Goldstone Solar System Radar function of DSN on the 70m
(DSS-14) - 500kW in X band at 8560 MHz

There *is* a new transmitter for GB - but it's a demo - 700 W and
temporarily installed up at the feed for a test.  I don't know what
frequency.  People are pitching a 500kW system, but we shall see.