[time-nuts] Re: Ublox NEO-M8T-0-10​as a LO question

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Mar 31 14:13:19 UTC 2021

Hi Chris --

The difference is that the ublox module is outputting a signal that's
being generated without much concern for its phase noise.  The digital
process used creates a  lot of jitter in the edges of the output
waveform.  It simply wasn't intended for the TIMEPULSE output to be used
in RF (analog) circuits.

The Bodnar GPSDO follows the GPS output with a synthesizer chip that
also functions as a "jitter attenuator" which in addition to allowing a
wide range of frequency outputs also cleans up the input signal.   The
synth chip output has much lower phase noise than the GPS by itself.

But the synth output is still noisier than a simple crystal oscillator
and might not be sufficiently good to be multiplied up to the 10 GHz
range.  That's why others have suggested starting the LO chain with a
higher frequency XO that is locked (in a narrow loop bandwidth) to the
GPS signal.  That will result in significantly lower phase noise when
multiplied up to 10 GHz.

73,
John
----