[time-nuts] Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 200, Issue 46

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 15:33:23 UTC 2021

Hi Chris.

Presuming you're interested in receiving QO100 with a LNB that doesn't drift like crazy (in our terms at least.)

There are numerous pages on the intenet, that show how to modify some of the common LNB's to take an external LO reference.   There are also some pre-modified on sale too (at a price.)

As to the Leo Bodnar device (I don't have one of them.)  That needs to be configured to provide the 25, 27MHz (or whatever) reference frequency that the LNB needs.

Depending on the LNB (number of and type of IF ports) you may need a bias 'T' to combine the power for the LNB, and the reference signal.

I guess one coax can work, but then you also need a duplexer too, to separate the IF from the LNB, while also passing the Reference signal and DC power out towards the LNB.

I know it can all be done, in any of several different ways.   The easiest way is to buy a pre-modified LNB and any needed bias 'T'.

For example...   https://remoteqth.com/lnb_gps.php   (No affiliation, just one of several hits to a simple Google query.)

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Es'hail-2_LNBs_and_Antennaes   More generic info, again no affiliation.

The lowest cost (perhaps?)  Involves doing all that yourself.   Skill's tools and eyesight(!) permitting.  (The insides of those LNB's are full of tiny SMD stuff.  *Very* tiny!

73.

Dave G8KBV.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: