[time-nuts] Re: PCTEL Timing Antenna with integrated GPS Receiver?

Douglas Baker kfourcle at gmail.com
Sun May 9 06:03:38 UTC 2021

Hi John,

I am trying to figure what the advantage is for an antenna with the
built-in GPS receiver is.  This was the approach many years ago when low
noise/high gain pre-amps were not available.  Today, the good LNA's are
cheap and work great.  Plus this limits the use to just one user end
application.  With the standard GPS antenna & LNA you can use a 4-port (or
more) splitter and distribute the signal to several receivers.  And the
cost of 8-conductor cable is probably more expensive than good LMR coax for
the same length of run.  And if you have a long run you would have to use
RS422 instead of RS232 for a reliable setup.

Pctel is a good company and they have done well with the timing antenna
design that they took over from Micro Pulse.  But I just don't think this
will be a big seller for them. The only possible reason I can come up with
to go this route would be that you have a lot of RFI in the lab or wherever
and need to remote the receiver away from the RFI source.  And even then
that's not a guarantee!

73's
Doug Baker