[time-nuts] Re: Rubidium oscillator : pack it in styrofoam or attach it to a heath-sink?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Oct 5 20:26:21 UTC 2021

Hi Paul,

So, sure, most of the electronics is actually better served away from
the heat, but that is the compromise of the cheap telco rubidiums that
need things fit into a small space. Another aspect is that isolating
them as you suggest can help reduce the amount of heat we need to
produce, and with that the current through transistors to burn energy
for heating, which is another source of failure, a strain on MTBF in
itself. At the same time, as you isolate, you need to leak more heat
from the colder filter/cell so that it can dump heat from the lamp side
and still have a regulating heating to maintain the temperature you
want. So you need to understand the balances and keep everything there.
Chopping up an LPRO like this is possible for sure. The LPRO also uses
the temperature of the filter/Cell block to stabilize the crystal, and
the oscillator part needs to be more or less straight there or you end
up in trouble. If you have a couple, you can let most of the electronics
be dead but at high temperature and another bord cold to do what can be
done at a bit of distance, if that is what makes you go. I have enough
LPROs not to care, I have spares.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Magnus