[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A - Dead GPS Receiver - Oncore VP

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 15 00:35:27 UTC 2021

Hi

The stability profile of the GPS timing signal changed significantly when SA was turned off.
Things like sawtooth correction that didn’t make much difference in the 1990’s now did
make a difference. Time constants and OCXO parameters that made sense “before” didn’t
make sense “after”.

More or less: When you make profound changes in the GPS timing signal, the best approach
to accurately recovering that signal has to change to match the new signal. Does everybody
change everything the next day? Of course not. It takes a while for folks to work out what’s
what with the “new rules”.

Bob