[time-nuts] Re: GPS D (i.e. gpsd) roll over bug..Oct 24th

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Oct 22 17:22:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 2021-10-22 17:58, Kevin Rowett wrote:
> For those using GPSD (https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/index.html <https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/index.html>) to read GPS receivers, and get the GPS time, there is a bug that could cause problems on Oct 24th.
>

> https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/current-activity/2021/10/21/gps-daemon-gpsd-rollover-bug <https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/current-activity/2021/10/21/gps-daemon-gpsd-rollover-bug>

I find it amusing, as this was discussed on ntp-questions email-list in
mid August 2013, and clearly explained with due references. It seems
that people did not act. There was a misconception that this was a
"receiver error" for which they should not do any fixes. It's actually a
systemflaw that never was fixed in L1 C/A code. It would have been good
if they added additional GPS-weeks bits in that signal, but it never
materialized. It did for other newer signals.

It seems nothing happen in those 8 years until the patching this year.

Cheers,
Magnus