[time-nuts] Re: GPS D (i.e. gpsd) roll over bug..Oct 24th

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 22 19:48:05 UTC 2021

Hi

As various GPS module designs done over the last decade or so have shown, you *can*
fix this at the module level. Yes, each of those fixes has its drawbacks. However, the modern
designs are a lot less likely to “die” 10 or 20 years from now.

….. and to address the inevitable follow up question:

The receiver can “save” the last date it saw. That becomes the “never before” date. If this is
enabled and the receiver gets a spoofed date, that’s a problem.

You can manually enter a “never before” date. That works fine, except for the “manual” part….
Anything that can be done manually could also be done under the control of the driver. That
opens a hacking path. There are a *lot* of things that could brick a receiver if the driver is hacked
so this is hardly unique in that regard.

Bob