[time-nuts] Re: in-ground clock room

Bill Beam wbeam at gci.net
Fri Sep 10 21:38:45 UTC 2021

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 21:03:05 +0000, Jerome Blaha wrote:

>Would the use of a partial vacuum in a sealed chamber or even the septic tank to reach a somewhat steady-state temperature be out of the
question, as only radiation would dominate the temperature?

>Bill's idea of a 0C water bath also sounds kind of cool and perhaps it might be attainable with a double or triple stacked pettier cooler
(reversible in voltage if your outdoor temps get below 0C) with very small tubing with coolant and two tiny DC powered pumps for redundancy
with check valves to a small radiator inside the crypt water/ice bath with an RTD temperature sensor.  Throw in an above-ground solar and
battery backup, and the solid-state refrigeration unit could be fully self-contained and located far enough from the time crypt to not influence
gravity, magnetism, quantum physics, etc.

My suggestion of floating the clock in a water/ice bath raises a not so obvious mechanical issue:  The clock is now no longer constrained
against side-to-side motion.  As the pendulum swings to and fro the clock case will move/rock fro and to.  Expect large phase noise from
turbulence in the bath.

A 'simple' pendulum exists only in theory.  A real 'simple' pendulum does not exist in any ones clock lab.

Bill Beam
NL7F