[time-nuts] Re: in-ground clock room - Random Thoughts

Bill S wls at jbpet.com
Sat Sep 11 04:31:47 UTC 2021

Tom
When I added a machine shop to my home I devoted a part of it to set up
and run a number of precision clocks which at the time consisted of a
Fedchenko, two Shortt clocks and a tank Riefler. Of course the room was
above ground and all of the problems regarding temperature and vibration
had to be considered. The concrete floor of the room was particularly
deep and I had arranged to have two large square holes made (when the
floor was poured) in the floor into which I mounted two 3000 pound
square freestanding concrete blocks that were floor height. The blocks
were mounted on vibration isolators (used to mitigate the effects of
earthquakes in California buildiings) which I had made. Although it
wasn't perfect it did help with the local road noise and random
vibrations. What I hadn’t counted on was the change of seasons and heavy
rain. When I set up the clocks (Fedchenko on one of the isolation blocks
and an Englsh Shortt on the other) I mounted a very sensitive tiltmeter
on the floor of the room and found that when we had a long duration
rainfall in the summer, the entire floor tilted slightly. It did the
same when the seasons changed from Winter to Summer. Keeping a steady
temperature also proved to be difficult. The tiltmeter was of the type
used on bridges to check for beam flexing and was made by Sperry. My
house was built in the 50's and I believe a good deal of fill was used
to level the site. This most likely caused the problem. Neverthess I had
quite good results with the clocks.

Bill S
www.precisionclocks.com