[time-nuts] Micrel (Microchip) PL-500 Low Phase Noise VCXO

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Mon Sep 13 08:31:53 UTC 2021

https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/PL500-16 (there's various other
versions depending on the frequency you're after)

Haven't seen any discussion about this on-list, but the PL500 is an
easily (well, in normal times) available VCXO control chip, for those
who might want to make their own disciplined oscillator, especially at
less standard frequencies. I had some arrive today and put the board
I've designed as an OCXO, and was able to trim +/- ~3kHz (around 26MHz
nominal in my case, pretty much the expected +/- 150ppm), all really easily.

I can't yet say much about quality as it turned out I'd put the wrong
regulator footprint on the board, and with no local regulation the power
rail was jumping all over the place, once I actually fix that and
hopefully get it mounted in its intended enclosure for thermal control
it'll be interesting how it goes (yes this was the project I was hoping
to use my SR620 to monitor the other week).