[time-nuts] Re: in-ground clock room

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 14:33:36 UTC 2021

On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 03:30:35 -0400, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 209, Issue 11
[snip]
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:58:32 -0400
> From: Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: in-ground clock room
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>

[snip]

> No matter what’s on top, you still need to get in and out of your vault.
> A ladder might work. I *know* that bringing the sort of stuff you
> are talking
> about down a ladder would not be anything I would even remotely want
> to try. Stairs and multiple doors would work, but you just > doubled the
> size of the hole. It’s not quite clear how you deal with the “thermal leak”
> that the stairs create. The door to the stairs also uses up valuable wall
> space. Even a trap door to get to a ladder would require a bit of thought.

One can use a ladder so long as there are provisions for hoisting
equipment up and down.  Basically there must be a structural frame
above the access hatch from which to hang a block and tackle or the
modern equivalent.

I installed such a setup in my attic, so I could store 100# air
conditioners in the attic over the winter.  No way was anybody going
to harry that thing up and down those rickety folding starts.  This
hoist has been very useful over the years.

Joe Gwinn