[time-nuts] Re: Micrel (Microchip) PL-500 Low Phase Noise VCXO

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Tue Sep 14 02:36:36 UTC 2021

On 14/9/21 12:59 am, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Mon, September 13, 2021 3:31 am, Julien Goodwin wrote:
>> https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/PL500-16
>> I've designed as an OCXO
>
> What temperature are you planning on running the oven?  If that device is
> going inside the oven, watch the max operating ambient spec if 85 degrees.

Yep. Sadly my use case includes "in an enclosure outdoors in the
Australian summer" so I can't use a low temperature oven.

This isn't something I'll be intending to sell or the 85c max would be
uncomfortably close to operating, but everything else is 125c (or at
least there's variants in the same package that are, my own stock is
various things).

Based on the datasheet I expect 125c would be just fine as long as
thermals are actually managed, and if I pot the can with thermally
conductive epoxy or similar it shouldn't be too bad.

I have a temperature sensor on the board right next to that chip,
however it's a *tiny* package (TI TMP117) and I've not actually managed
to have one work after reflow.