[time-nuts] Re: Micrel (Microchip) PL-500 Low Phase Noise VCXO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 18 14:38:32 UTC 2021

Hi

> On Sep 18, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Julien Goodwin <time-nuts at studio442.com.au> wrote:
>

> On 18/9/21 10:26 pm, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The chip is intended to be used with the divider engaged ( set to a divide of
>> 2 or greater). That should act as a pretty good buffer if the layout is reasonable.
>
> I'm using the -17 variant, no divider, running at the 26MHz fundamental.
>
>> Looking at the spectrum analyzer plots, you either have crud on the control
>> line ( ground it and see what happens … ) or on the supply. Either way it’s at
>> audio frequencies. Your regulator may have issues (switchers are not what you
>> feed a crystal oscillator with …..) or you need some caps in the 100’s of uf
>> range on the regulator you have.
>
> First stage input is a Keysight N675xA supply, not the absolute quietest
> supply out there but plenty good enough (it's also currently the best I
> have, my last two linear supplies died, and I've not replaced them), the
> second stage is an MCP1802 LDO, now with 1mH on the input in series. I'd
> have expected 10uF to be enough bulk capacitance, but I can absolutely
> try chucking some more on and seeing if that does help.

You need a quiet linear regulator feeding the chip. Any switcher will drive it nuts.
Indeed a lot of LDO’s are not very quiet. They also may be very poor at isolating
you from switcher “crud”. You need to be careful about what you pick.

> When I was just running the DAC without the oscillator the lines were
> dead quiet, I suppose it's also possible there's leakage from the
> control signal running too close to one of the lines to the crystal
> (just a hair under 1mm between the traces)
>
>> Pay attention to the max output C even when running the divider. You can drive a
>> scope probe, but not a 50 ohm line with the device. For 50 ohms you will need
>> a pretty healthy ( = high current ) buffer.
>
> It /should/ be able to handle driving into 50 ohms per the spec sheet,
> but I agree it's not doing a great job of it.

The spec sheet shows output current of 4 ma at full output and something in the
9 ma range with reduced output. You normally want to be at the < 4 ma point on
a chip like this.  3V into 50 ohms gets you to 60 ma.

The same loading issue can come in from a scope probe that has a bit too much
C.  A 12 pf probe is right at the edge / over in this case.

Bob

>>> The thermal and shielding situation is to improve, but I did at least
>>> get local regulation fixed, and while improved, it's still not great.
>>>
>>> With a 1mH inductor on the input (pre-regulator) and the local regulator
>>> installed:
>>> https://twitter.com/LapTop006/status/1439081534053515266
>>>
>>> Traces are:
>>> Yellow - Output signal (50-ohm terminated)
>>> Green - Control voltage
>>> Blue - 3.3v rail (main internal rail)
>>> Red - 5v input rail
>>>
>>> At a rough guess I either need more bulk capacitance on the 3.3v rail,
>>> or, more likely, lower impedance decoupling caps (I'm currently using
>>> 100n 0603 of the "whatever I have in stock" variety). Would welcome
>>> suggestions. I /do/ have an impedance analyzer that can handle this