[time-nuts] Re: ammonia, cesium, masers, etc.

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:21:51 UTC 2021

It ought to be possible to find the resonance with off the shelf equipment
An ADF5355 synthesizer is capable of small frequency steps and will
generate up to 13.6GHz.  Use it's 2nd harmonic leakage (4th harm of the
VCO), there is a bit coming out at 24GHz.   If the synth  reference input
is derived from a 48 bit DDS like an AD9852, it can be tuned in really
small frequency steps, far below the 1Hz steps that ought to be enough to
spot the absorbtion.   Isn't Caesium about 1Hz wide ?

For detection, an amateur 24GHx converter is close enough to use.
Copper water pipe that has been hammered into an oval can support TE01
modes reliably enough if you need to suppress polarisation rotation.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com