[time-nuts] Re: ammonia, cesium, masers, etc.

ct1dmk ct1dmk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:10:25 UTC 2021

I played a bit with that in the nineties (30 years ago...ouch...)
made some stuff and I think I can still find some of the circuits.

As far as I recall there are two aspects to consider.

One is "low pressure" means vacuum pumps and pressure gauges calibrated
to ammonia (but any gauge and reasonable educated guess work will work
too), and if we want to make a permanent cell we need seal it... glass
or ceramic windows on the WG, plus all the rest to seal the in/out pipes
when we are happy with the ammonia pressure, otherwise it would be a
temporary experiment. Or leave the pumps and gas inlet running...

Second is that when the pressure is not too low absorption can be
intense but it is quite broad (thermal/collision broadening).
If we lower the pressure it will become sharper but less intense
or else we need more waveguide to get it deep enough.
Finding the good compromise is required hence the need to control the
ammonia pressure.

I don't remember anything in the 1Hz width... If my memory serves me
right I would say it was in the KHz region at half width, which should
be narrow enough to know where the center is within a few Hz...

Luis Cupido
ct1dmk.