[time-nuts] Re: ammonia, cesium, masers, etc.

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 23:43:22 UTC 2021

Well aside from the fact that I have about one piece of gear that goes up
to 23 GHz. A old HP bolometer to a HP 431 meter. Still works from what I
can tell. Really nothing else in the shack. But ebay sure has plenty of
WR42 stuff. Unfortunately at those special ebay prices. So doesn't look too
likely anything can actually be done.
I think from reading if a person had a RF source that could be accurately
set or slightly tuned, in theory a 10 meter length of wr42 with
pressure windows, signal launcher and even a diode detector would actually
see the absorption dip of the ammonia on a power meter. Just thinking. But
the fact is even with a good receiver the cost for an ammonium standard
would be quite high. Far cheaper than the 1960s though.
Regards
Paul.