[time-nuts] Re: Death of a Capacitor

nuts at lazygranch.com nuts at lazygranch.com
Mon Sep 27 08:16:13 UTC 2021

I've only designed one LDO as a discrete chip (as opposed to a portion
of a chip where performance just has to be good enough), so I have no
guru status. That said, what spikes pass through a LDO if you do it
right is simply a capacitor divider comprised of the capacitance across
the pass device and the filter capacitor. This is a bit more
predictable with a PFET pass than a PNP.

https://www.analog.com/en/products/lt3045.html

You can see the PSRR after a point (200kHz) rolls off and appears to
flatten. I assume the error amp is out of loop gain. It goes flat for a
while. The idea here is the drive on the pass device is constant
and just maintains the DC voltage. The AC rejection is mostly due to
capacitance ratios. This being a bipolar pass device there is some
secondary effect here where after 2MHz the rejection improves then goes
flat again.

The bipolar pass control is harder than MOS since you are trying to
keep the device out of saturation. That is besides the error amp there
is some sort of anti-saturation circuit controlling the drive on the
pass device.

My thinking here is small signal. If you have huge spikes the
performace even in the region where you do have loop gain can be
nonlinear. For example the error amp can be slew rate limited.

This looks like fine performance given the chip only draws 2.2mA.

Just trawling the interwebs I found this on the TI website:
https://training.ti.com/ldo-architecture-review
At about the 18 minute point he goes into the regions of PSRR.  I poked
around so I can't vouch more all of the talk,

.