[time-nuts] Re: When did computer clocks get so bad?

Trent Piepho tpiepho at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:39:18 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> Since these embedded chips generally are incredibly robust with
> respect to timing, the xtal on the BOM is the cheapest that will
> meet spec.

Crystals?  We don't need no stinking crystals!

At least for the RTC.  Chips like, e.g. the NXP iMX6, can use an
internal ring oscillator in place of the customary 32kHz crystal to
save even more on BOM cost and board space.  Still needs a faster xtal
for full operation, but low power mode and RTC can use the ring
oscillator and keep the 24 MHz xtal powered down.