[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sat Apr 2 14:13:32 UTC 2022

On 4/1/22 2:12 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for AC-powered 10 MHz sinewave laboratory
> signal sources with very low phase noise, having a noise floor below
> -170 dBc/Hz.  Rubidium is desired, but not essential.  Reliability
> and durability in lab use is essential.
>
> Which makes and models should I consider purchasing?
>
> I like the SRS model FS725, but its noise floor is too high at -150
> dBm/Hz, 20 dB noisier than many things I may wish to measure.
> <https://www.thinksrs.com/products/FS725.htm>
>
> Thanks,

Ultimately, what you're looking for is a "oscillator and distribution
amp in a box with a power supply" - you can build it yourself, or you
can contract it out to a variety of places, or you can go to an
oscillator manufacturer.

Call Wenzel Associates (https://www.wenzel.com/) - they'll put some of
their low noise sources/distribution amps into a box with a power
supply. For a price. Their website is broken for these kinds of
products, but it's something they do all the time.