[time-nuts] Re: RAGA - was Re: Re: Low Phase Noise70 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 18:40:58 UTC 2022

I have encountered GPS active antennas that are unstable and oscillate,
especially when not mounted on a metal backing.    One even oscillated
occasionally when it did have a ground plane.   Because the ceramic patch
antenna is narrowband and has a high Q, the spurious oscillation is
relatively stable in frequency, and of course very close to 1575MHz where
patch resonates.
One such faulty antenna I had once jammed every other GPS receiver in the
house - although they were all the old 2nd generation type receivers of two
decades ago

Andy
www.g4jnt.com