[time-nuts] Re: Can one use a two channel TC with an internal reference to measure two independent oscillators to establish the quality of the internal reference?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Apr 2 20:53:32 UTC 2022

Hi

Usually the best / quick / easy way to evaluate something like
a two channel counter is do it with a pair of signals that are independent
from each other, but very close to the same frequency. Rb’s are often
used, but the technique is not specific to them.

You feed a PPS ( or whatever ) from each source into your channels.
The reference for the counter is “something else”. As the two PPS
edges move along relative to each other, you sweep out the range
of the device. What you typically find is that the gizmo isn’t quite as
linear as you had hoped. You might even find dead spots ….

Bob