[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 3 13:53:18 UTC 2022

Hi

These days a PLL is going to either be analog or digital. If it’s
analog, you get into size constraints related to capacitors
as you go to lower crossover frequencies. With digital, you
get into all of the noise issues that any digital circuit will have.
(Yes, they can be addressed but it’s not easy at very low
offset frequencies).

Regardless of design, you will always have some noise peaking.
> 89 degree phase margins can help with this, but they bring
in other problems. Setting the phase margin and other parameters
is either a mathematical design process or done with simulation.
It can be very frustrating doing it by trial and error. I still find
Phaselock Techniques by Floyd M Gardner to be a good reference
on this stuff.

The normal PLL control loops are fairly low order filters. If you
go high order, loop stability (and peaking) becomes difficult
to handle. Because it’s a simple filter, things like close in spurs
will only be attenuated by some finite amount.

So yes, you will have issues. Dealing with those issues means
an area ( = range of offset frequencies) that are not as nice as you
might wish. That’s just the way the real world works.

Bob