[time-nuts] Re: Commercial solution - 122.88 MHz low noise source

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Apr 5 01:34:34 UTC 2022

I was curious and looked up this Red Pitaya SDR thing (which I had never
heard of - I would have guessed a poisonous snake, without the
internet), and the Abracom TCXO. It's getting a little confusing to keep
up with what's going on.

First, does the installed TCXO have EFC capability, or not? Jeff
apparently says not, while Gerhard says yes. According to the datasheet,
the ABLNO can be an XO only (no suffix), or a VCXO ("V" suffix). Jeff
should be able to tell which, by inspection.

It appears now that 125 MHz won't work, unless maybe the internal SW
allows enough frequency offset to be set - TBD, I guess.

A current option seems to be putting the "same" kind of TCXO in a
separate box to insulate it somewhat from ambient changes. After seeing
what all the pieces look like, this makes sense, but why not be sure to
get the ABLNO-V VCXO version, which would allow for PLLing if the
thermal stuff is not satisfactory, or just because? You may decide to
forget about the thermal stuff and just do a PLL anyway, with more
confidence in the result.

If it turns out that the already installed TCXO is VC, then of course
you could just leave it in, and (carefully) tap off some output for the
PLL, and add an EFC line back. I think that was one of the possible
scenarios mentioned in discussion. By the looks of it, it seems like
trying to remove or replace the installed part, or doing any major mods,
would be risky to the board.

Ed