[time-nuts] Re: Ublox LEA-4T mentioned here. Have fired one up

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:09:21 UTC 2022

John indeed on the 3V. I have lots of 3.3V regs. Not sure I have a 3. But
like you I am thinking the same only maybe simpler. Simply solder it to a
piece of copper board thats larger so I can mount interface chips drill
holes for screws and such. Also some standoffs for 1pps, ext in/out, rs232
tx1/rx1. Smaller wires are the way to go on connecting to the pins. At 3V
startup is 65ma settles to 57ma. The input is a bit odd. Like you I spotted
the mcl combiner/splitter. The side port is 4-5 db hotter than the top
port. But both work. So its a bit odd as if it was intended for 2 antennas.
Kind of doesn't really matter as its totally working on the TX1/RX1 port. I
set it to 115200 baud. It comes up 9600. That change is sort of silly.
Thinking about mounting the board on the copper board component side down.
Easy to solder copper support wires then. No screw holes kind of a pain.
While soldering I have a small tip iron and found it really needs to be at
700 F or so to do good job.
On one of my units and in the ebay pix there is a spot of tape that holds
down I assume a small regulator and TCXO. But it really doesn't seem to do
anything. Four of my units do not have that mod. So have not really figured
it out yet.
Good luck.
Paul