[time-nuts] Disabled Thunderbolt

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 05:19:27 UTC 2022

Hello All,
I had a thunderstorm with a close discharge, the flash and bang were simultaneous.
And very loud/bright. I found no sign of a ground strike, but I had damage from the EMP.
My Broadband modem was damaged, the router died (all the lights went out and the power supply
ran hot). All the ethernet ports were blown out.
When I looked at my Thunderbolt disciplined clock it was still running. Lady Heather showed no
signals from the thunderbolt.
After faultfinding everything, a serial port on the computer was dead, the thunderbolt output
was silent, but it was still outputting PPS and 10MHz. The antenna on a mast 4 feet above the roof was OK.
The serial port on the old PC was a plug-in card, but the other ports on other cards still work.
Eventually, I set up another GPS receiver and compared the PPS signals. The thunderbolt still works
but has been struck dumb.
After power up, the tbolt synchronises with the satellites and sends PPS and 10Mhz.
What I want to know as it is not clear in the Thunderbolt manual, just what systems run
when you do not send any commands to the tbolt on start up? Does it do a survey, or is mine
using a stored position, or does it do a new survey? Can I keep using the tbolt in spite of the fact
that I can not not use Lady Heather again?
cheers,
Neville Michie