[time-nuts] Re: +1/f of transistors

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Apr 9 13:31:27 UTC 2022

I am seeing a lot of unsupported "theories" about what should be done to
make devices with low 1/f noise.  It might be instructive for everyone
to read Marv Keshner's PhD dissertation (Stanford) discussing 1/f noise.
He looks at all kinds of theories and shows that there is no valid
cookbook for how to make low 1/f noise devices.  It's the classic
non reproducible process.  I remember an FCS
talk many years ago that NIST guru Fred Walls gave with some theory
on how to get low 1/f noise.  Unlike his other papers which were
well received (and rightly so), this one was rapidly debunked.
I felt bad for Fred, getting out too far over his skiis.

Rick N6RK