[time-nuts] Re: +1/f of transistors

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Apr 10 11:32:22 UTC 2022

On Samstag, 9. April 2022 13:38:58 CEST usenet at teply.info wrote:
> IF the base and emitter doping would be done through ion implantation,
> this can create a lot of defects, which act as recombination centres.

…as does any other doping technique.  The details of what defects are where
and whether any of them are electrically active (beyond what constitutes the
activated dopants, i.e. the very much wanted part of doing it in the first
place) and if so how exactly is an interesting problem in itself to figure
out.

To the best of my knowledge, no hypothesis about the causal relationships of
these defects to 1/f noise is predictive beyond the often observed correlation
between having more of them without changing anything else (which really isn't
possible to do either) produces worse noise.

> […]
> That's also a reason space guys often
> require sourcing parts manufactured in one named fabrication plant.

I can't blame them.  If you've ever been near a qualification where risk of 9+
figure budgets or limb&life is involved, then you too would probably come to
the conclusion very quickly that just the additional effort for qualifying a
second source when not necessary due to supply risk is something you need like
another hole in your head (even when everybody agrees that it should not add
any material risks).

Regards,
Achim.