[time-nuts] What am I seeing?

Jim Farmer jofarmer at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 11 17:25:20 UTC 2022

I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this, with the useful and intelligent
conversations I see on here.  But I sure would like an answer.

I started using Lady Heather V6 a few weeks ago, to monitor the status
of my ZYT GPSDO, and a few things bother me.  See the screen shot of
Lady Heather and the four screen shots of the ZYT. Lady Heather shows
all but one satellite in yellow rather than green, and it seems to imply
that the satellites in yellow are not contributing to the accuracy of
the reading.  Yet the ZYT seems to say that it is tracking 6 satellites
(I don't know how it is tracking 6 if only 5 are visible).  Fairly
frequently Heather says that she is not tracking any satellites and the
GPSDO is not locked.  But the ZYT itself says it is happily tracking 5-6
satellites and IS locked.  For the first couple of weeks of use, Heather
seemed to agree with the ZYT on satellites being tracked, then it
started this behavior.  I have another GPSCO, the tiny Leo Bodner,
tracking from the same antenna (via an H-P splitter) and it reports it
is happy with all the signal levels of the satellites.

I think this ZYT has the Samsung GPS in it.

Appreciate your thoughts.

jim

--
Jim Farmer, K4BSE
Mobile 678-640-0860

  Love all, † Follow One

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
         Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953