[time-nuts] Re: Symmetricom/Datum FTS-1050A Disciplined Frequency Standard

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Apr 19 21:08:21 UTC 2022

That's an interesting old machine - very cool.

One thing though, is that unless I'm missing something, I believe the
two available loop time constants are in minutes, not seconds, or that
it should be in many more (maybe 100X) seconds, if stated that way.
Since the unit can synchronize to a 1 PPS reference, it would make sense
that the loop filtering goes way beyond 1 or 100 seconds.

If this is the case, then there's some typo errors in the manual.

As far as I know, time constant is still T=RC, or megohms X uF =
seconds, in the convenient short form I always remember. So, the long
time constant setting of 2500 megs by 10 uF gives 25,000 seconds - over
400 minutes. Now, I can picture it being defined also by the scaling of
the tuning range used. If you take the input divider 100 k/ 10 k, times
the amplifier gain a little less than 2, that gets it overall into the
100 minutes ballpark. The filter is not an integrator in the pure sense,
but an RC LPF, so the output is bounded to about 20% of the "stored"
tuning voltage from the DAC system.

Regardless of how you estimate, it seems like the times have to be in
minutes, not seconds.

Ed