[time-nuts] Re: Symmetricom/Datum FTS-1050A Disciplined Frequency Standard

Michael Garvey r3m1g4 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 20 01:46:05 UTC 2022

>>It was model FTS-1050A Disciplined Frequency Standard.
The FTS-1050A was the second product of Frequency and Time Systems Inc
(FTS) and appeared in the market around 1980.  The instrument architecture
was the product of Martin Levine (of Levine and Vessot Gravity Probe A) as
implemented by Jerry Welch.  The 1050A employs an analog PLL.  The heart of
the 1050A instrument was a 1000A quartz oscillator designed by Donald
Emmons.
Most of the FTS, Datum, Symmetricom products relied upon trade secrets for
protection of intellectual property which is why you'll find few patents or
detailed technical manuals.
The Datum 2110B, developed first at Austron (Austin, TX) was a similar (to
the 1050A) instrument which used a digital FLL.  The 2110C (based upon the
2110B and developed in Beverly, MA), was a more sophisticated (though not as
low noise) version with a dual input FLL that would discipline to the
average of two reference inputs and, upon loss or severe degradation of one
input, would switch to the use of a single reference input. The primary
application was for robust, redundantly referenced timing sources for
telecom Central Office instruments.  The design was by Peter Vlitas.
I was a scientist at FTS then CTO, retiring in 2011.
Mike Garvey