[time-nuts] Re: NTP server source needed

Denny Page dennypage at me.com
Sat Apr 23 19:19:39 UTC 2022

FWIW, I have experience with the LeoNTP, TM1000A and TM2000A.

The LeoNTP is a very solid NTP server. Highly consistent service, with extraordinary low variance assuming the display is left on the default time screen (other screens negatively impact variance). Standard deviation reported by Chrony using hardware timestamps is in the low 10s of nanoseconds.

My TM1000A unfortunately died a couple of years ago. I remember it as a fairly consistent NTP server, with standard deviation in the mid 10s of microseconds.

The TM2000As I have are of an older vintage. As a PTP server, these units functioned okay. However as an NTP server, they were really not great. Lots of variance for NTP, and occasionally would wander off by several seconds. I note that there is newer firmware which may address some of the NTP issues, however my hardware appears to be too old to update to the current version so I cannot confirm.

I do not have any experience with the TM2000B.

Your mileage may vary.