[time-nuts] Microcontroller based frequency divider

Simon Merrett smerrett79 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 07:36:37 UTC 2022

Dear time nuts,

I'm now on this list thanks to leapseconds.com where I went looking for the picDIV. A wonderful device. I have a project coming up where I plan to cut my time-teeth and think a picDIV will be just right for one of the stages.

However, with components in short supply these days, I wondered if a similar approach could be taken on an alternate, or a few alternative, part(s). I have a Leo Bodnar GPSDO but only a 50 MHz bandwidth oscilloscope (Rigol DS1054Z), which I cannot think will be sufficient to characterise an alternative implementation.

So I was wondering if there are any time nuts who might have the wherewithal to measure an alternative microcontroller frequency divider implementation. I would think a 10 MHz division to 1PPS. I'd like to know jitter and delay/offset (I'm afraid I'm still not up on all the terminology - feel free to educate me please!) to around 100 ps accuracy (I think I need nanosecond accuracy in my project). I would obviously pay for shipping the parts to be tested and the parts themselves (most likely with power and coaxial signal connectors on a PCB). Please comment, even if you aren't in a position to offer measurement.

Thank you for this community.

Yours,

Simon