[time-nuts] Re: What time difference to expect from two clocks using internal GPS receivers?

André Balsa andrebalsa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 19:54:16 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,
Since each Chinese GPS receiver module has its own Xtal oscillator driving
a very low power 32-bit processor usually at around 48MHz, and we can
expect these oscillators to have a slightly different frequency, let's say
the difference is 500ppm, then I would imagine there would be a
correspondingly significant phase difference in the PPS pulses of these two
Chinese GPS receivers.
I would also imagine if you took two Neo-M9N modules and adjusted their PPS
with the reported quantization error, the PPS phase difference would be
much, much smaller.
As usual, you get what you pay for.
But then, depending on the use case, the Chinese GPS receiver modules may
be perfectly adequate, it all depends on your specific needs.