[time-nuts] Re: Microcontroller based frequency divider

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Apr 30 21:52:04 UTC 2022

Simon,

You can probably use any microcontroller as a divider, including
Atmel/AVR. Most modern processors have elaborate timer / counter / PWM /
NCO features on-chip so you can avoid the archaic cycle counting
technique used in all the PIC dividers [1].

Or you can use decade counter IC's or even discrete flip-flops if you
don't mind the parts count. The 'HC390 dual decade counter is a long
time favorite and you only need 3½ of them to divide 10 MHz down to 1
Hz. Just about anything will give you sub-ns precision in the division.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a critical project or have the
specialized equipment to measure it.

The reason I picked the PIC12F675 is that it was a simple and widely
known chip and has been in production since forever. The concept of the
"PIC divider" goes back before the Shera GPSDO so there's been
continuous visibility for 25 years. They are popular because they are so
small, easy to use, with plenty to choose from [2]. As for jitter, I
once measured TAPR/TADD-2 PIC divider jitter to be about 1 ps [3].

I see the chips are out of stock from the usual places at the moment.
Contact me off-list if you can't find one.

/tvb

[1] http://leapsecond.com/pic/

[2] http://leapsecond.com/pic/src/

[3] http://leapsecond.com/pic/jitter/