[time-nuts] Re: Testing frequency pulling on a DYI counter

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Thu Aug 4 18:04:21 UTC 2022

Bob, Magnus,

Using a second counter (my famous Picotest U6200A) locked to the
reference output of the DIY counter and measuring the output of the
signal generator and also set to gate of 10 s it is confirmed that the
frequency pulling (if any) is below 1E-11 (not more digits on the
display of the U6200A)
Generator is set to 10.000,000,000,2 MHz and is measured as such by the
U6200A
As there seems to be no frequency pulling I went back to the simulation
of the linear regression algorithm and discovered that when there is a
integer  divide/multiply relation between the internal reference and the
measured frequency the regression looses some accuracy.
For sure if the reference is close to an integer multiple of the
measured frequency (10 Mhz measured -> 200 MHz reference) the regression
collapses completely in accuracy. I hoped that by creating a fractional
relation this collapse would not happen at 10 MHz but is still there,
although much smaller. For this test I'm using a "div 3 times 64 e.g.
213.333,333,333,333... MHz" internal reference frequency derived from
the external 10MHz reference. Ton van Baak warned me against using
fractional relations in a counter but otherwise it is impossible to
measure a 10 MHz input signal with any accuracy without a HW time to
digital as the interpolation no longer works. I can switch dynamically
to 200 MHz or 245 MHz reference and these produce much much worse results.
I realize this test only measures if the TCXO used as reference in the
DIY counter does not show frequency pulling but it does not show if the
PLL used to convert the 10MHz to 213.333333333... MHz for the internal
counters shows any frequency pulling.
NOt
Erik.