[time-nuts] Re: Testing frequency pulling on a DYI counter

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Aug 5 12:55:16 UTC 2022

 > the measured frequency the regression looses some accuracy.

Yes, the hp/Agilent/Keysight 53132A does that too. Here's the footnote
from the user manual:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/53132/53132-reduced-resolution.gif

And it's not just at 10 MHz. Any fraction or multiple within 600 ppb is
affected too. What impressed me is that the hp firmware engineers
specifically detected this condition and reduced the number of digits
displayed accordingly. This avoids the user from getting a false sense
of precision.

 > Tom Van Baak warned me against using fractional relations in
 > a counter but otherwise it is impossible to measure a 10 MHz
 > input signal with any accuracy without a HW time to digital
 > as the interpolation no longer works.

Right, which is probably why many high-end commercial counters use
interpolators. But you aren't, and that's ok because your design spec is
on the order of 9 digits. Keep it simple. Later if you design a 10 or 11
or 12 digit counter you'll have to resort to using h/w interpolation as
well. Even the Lars GPSDO uses a crude interpolator; it's not that
difficult. Many threads in the time-nuts archive on the topic.

----

Your slow sweeping experiments reminded me of a great example I once ran
into. So I wrote it up with photos and plots:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/racal/
http://leapsecond.com/pages/racal/stdev.htm

Even if you aren't building a frequency counter, this strange event is
quite interesting. One of the plots is attached; the rest are in the URL
above.

/tvb