[time-nuts] Re: GPSDO/GNSSDO project: STM32G4 + u-blox ZED-F9T + TDC7200

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Aug 6 16:50:51 UTC 2022

Hi

Actually John would be the better one to check with since his paper is referenced
as the source of the data :) :): :). My plots of these parts just show up here on
the list ….

The ADEV you get is much better than the “timing” spec on these parts. Indeed
that spec is typically a bit vague in terms of just what it actually is referring to. In
the case of the F9T it certainly isn’t spec’ing 1x10^-11 level ADEV.

Just what this or that device does in a moving environment is very much a “try
it and see” sort of thing. There are simply to many variables to come up with a
single magic number. Moving on a train across a flat / wide open field with 360
degree sky view to within 10 degrees of the horizon is very different than driving
a motorbike through the typical urban canyon with very limited sky view. Doing
either one at 50 degrees north  is different than doing it at the equator. Drones
have different issues than backpacks…… it goes on and on and on ….

With the F9x’s and a “GPS only” design, you have a limited number of sat’s
to use. That makes everything more difficult. A “multi-GNSS” approach is an
alternative, it brings with it a variety of issues.

As many have found, dealing with OCXO’s in changing environments is a bit
exciting. They most certainly do go in a variety of settings. Something around
99% live in a fixed / bench sort of install. The spec sheet data on a catalog part
is inevitably talking about a very stable situation. Performance is always degraded
if things like shock / vibration / acceleration / temperature change are involved.

Without a target accuracy spec on the device, there really is no way to know if
this or that approach is going to work. Is this a time source? Is it just a frequency
reference? What is the target accuracy in the real world?  What is the “vehicle”
and what are its characteristics?

Lots and lots of rabbit holes to chase down …. ( and we never even made it
to the problematic filter on the DAC …).

Bob